Carbon monoxide gas can't be seen, smelt or tasted but is extremely toxic. It can be produced via unsafe gas appliances and cause death as well as long term health problems like brain damage.
There are a number of signs to look out for:
These symptoms are commonly associated with other illnesses such as flu, food poisoning or even just tiredness, so it's vitally important that you are aware that any of these signs could be brought on from something as serious as a carbon monoxide leak.
Also be aware of the following if any of the symptoms are experienced:
IF YOU THINK YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER, CALL THE GAS EMERGENCY SERVICES ON 0800 111 999.
Any fault gas appliance you have may lead to carbon monoxide poisoning so it's vital that you get it checked out.
Since carbon monoxide is invisible, odourless and tasteless a carbon monoxide detector is strongly recommended, as it will emit an audio alarm when there is a leak.
Black spot detectors are also available which change colour when there is a leak. However, they are not recommended, as they are ineffective in warning you of a leak when you are asleep.
Carbon Monoxide detectors can be purchased from your local DIY store and are easy to install. The detector you buy must be approved to EN 50291 standards and bear the markings of European or British approval.
All Superb carries £2M public indemnity and liability insurance for all work we carry out, subject to our business terms and conditions.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries.